Featured Listing: Historic “Rienzi Plantation” in Louisiana

thib1

Due to budget cuts, Nicholls State University recently bailed on plans to develop this old plantation house into its culinary center.  Returned to the donating group, the historic Rienzi Plantation in Thibodaux, Louisiana is now being offered for sale.   The Rienzi House is located directly across Bayou Lafourche from the town of Thibodaux and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.  It looks like it needs some real work, but the southern charm of this old plantation house, with sweeping porches and stately pillars, is hard to deny.  The Greek Revival mansion, with over 6,000 square feet of living space, is believed to have been completed around 1835.  The asking price for the property, which is owned by the charitable arm of the JB Levert Land Co., is $1.5 million, and the listing is being handled by Ernesto Caldeira of Dorian Bennett Sotheby’s. [HoumaToday.com] [KLFY News]

(Click Here for Index of 100+ articles here at Historic House Blog!!)

thib2

1. by SUSAN MOSS, on 10.18.10 @ 11:09 PM

THIS WAS MY DREAM HOUSE WHEN I WAS A LITTLE GIRL 30 YEARS AGO. I WISH I HAD $1.5 MILLION.

2. by Michael, on 11.28.10 @ 11:51 PM

No kidding! I’d love just to tour this place & the grounds.

3. by Murvyn R. Callo, on 08.10.11 @ 11:55 PM

Man, if only I hit the Lottery this would be my first buy. I love this house!!

4. by Diareewrivand, on 01.04.12 @ 4:31 PM

wow good thread! Antennadeals.com reviews

5. by William J. Meyer, on 09.30.12 @ 4:27 PM

I too admired this house while on a visit a couple of years ago. In the past my mothers family, Morvant, had an interest in it along with the Leverts. I recall my mother relating her visits to the house where her grandparents lived. Anyone with information on the Morvant family may contact me via internet.

6. by William J. Meyer, on 09.30.12 @ 4:29 PM

I too admired this house while on a visit a couple of years ago. In the past my mothers family, Morvant, had an interest in it along with the Leverts. I recall my mother relating her visits to the house where her grandparents lived early in the 1900’s. Anyone with information on the Morvant family may contact me via internet.

7. by Melinda Fields Tong, on 01.05.13 @ 1:24 AM

The house belonged to my GG Great Grandfather, William Fields. It would be awesome to own it and restore it. Nothing like walking through history.

8. by julie donahoe, on 01.11.13 @ 11:49 PM

I am writing a book and part of the story is based in Louisiana. This home is what I am going to utelize for the description of the main character’s high school home. Is there any way I can receive more information or pictures. Possibly in the 70’s era. Or 80’s. If this book/screen play( which I have agents working on a production plan for Lifetime and other networks) seems to pan out, even if all the information is not correct; I hope the good people of Louisiana enjoy the use of a historic site being portrayed.

9. by callie, on 04.01.13 @ 3:32 PM

I’m obcessed with plantations,old houses,and old stuff. It’s my dream to own a plantation,and i love the house ,but i don’t have 1.5 million dollars!!!!!!!!!!!!!!I hope someone irresponsible doesn’t buy it. It’s crazy that the plantation is 1.5 MILLION dollars!!!!!!!!!!!

10. by Sherry Morvant, on 11.20.13 @ 12:15 AM

I’m interested in any information on the Rienzi’s home . I was told by some of my living and dead relatives that the Morvant’s owned this home but lost it . If anyone has any information about the Morvant’s owning this house at one time please contact me . I would love to know more details for my family history records.