Featured Listing- Ipswich’s 1668 Isaac Goodale House

goodale3Members of the Goodale family have lived in this home for about 330 of the last 340 years. The house was originally built by Robert Goodale for his son Isaac in 1668. The Goodale house was built on the family’s 500 acre property in Salem, and was farmed by generations of Goodales until it was sold out of the family in 1915. Another Goodale purchased it in 1928 and had it dismantled and rebuilt in Ipswich, where it stands today ready for its next owner.

goodale1The saltbox house features 4 working fireplaces, diamond-pane leaded windows (a couple of which are thought to be original – rare indeed), massive chamfered summer beams, original exposed brick walls, hand-carved paneled walls, and many original hand-forged iron hinges. As spectacular as the house is, it also sits on a very impressive piece of property- 41 acres of nature-lover’s paradise with a view of Choate Island, the salt marsh, and Crane Island Beach.

(Click Here for Index of 100+ articles here at Historic House Blog!!)

ipswich375Ipswich and the North Shore of Boston offers one of the highest concentrations of First Period (1625-1725) architecture on the East Coast. The town of Ipswich lays claim to having more colonial houses than any other town in America. It is home to the 1677 Whipple House, called by many the “gem of first period architecture,” and open to the public as a museum house in the Spring and Summer. This year is a great time to visit Ipswich- it’s the town’s 375th birthday and there are numerous events planned throughout the year, including many that highlight Ipswich’s 17th-century architectural heritage. Check out the schedule at http://www.ipswichma375.org/.

goodale4The house and 41 acres are both protected by several protective preservation and conservation easements which prevent the house from being modified in a way that ruins its historical integrity, and prevents the land from being subdivided or developed. This incredible property is available for $ 1.4 Million and is offered for sale by Kristal Pooler of Kristal Pooler & Associates (If you’re a Goodale, you might want to ask for a discount). Click here for more details, and also check out the recent article on the property from the Boston Globe.

1. by Jonathan Bacon, on 12.21.10 @ 2:28 AM

Jacob was my great, times 11, grandfather. Would love to own this house.

2. by Tomas Forman, on 10.28.11 @ 8:53 PM

My neighbors live in that house. Family of 6. Great people.

3. by Michael, on 10.28.11 @ 9:28 PM

@Tomas . . . How cool! I would absolutely love to tour this house. I’m glad to hear a large family lives there now . . . historically, there probably would have been even *more* people living there!

4. by Wade Goodell, on 11.24.12 @ 2:47 PM

Isaac is my 12-time great grandfather, trying to plan a trip to go see the house with my dad.

5. by Jeanne Goodell, on 09.11.13 @ 10:08 PM

Isaac was my 9X Great Grand Uncle; His father Robert was my 10X Great Grandfather. I’d love to see this house someday.

6. by Michael@HHB, on 09.16.13 @ 10:17 AM

Hi Jeanne! It’s pretty wild when house owners have 10x great grandfathers! I hope you get to see the house someday, too. I know I’d love to!

Michael @ HHB

7. by MISS RHIAN, on 09.22.13 @ 12:54 AM

you guys are not alone , Isaac Goodale is my 9th great grandfather. love to see house , I wonder if its drafty? If I COULD JUST GET THE LOTTERY #S RIGHT……

8. by Nicholas, on 09.23.13 @ 9:28 AM

I am not a descendant of the Goodale family like many of you are, but I am a descendant of Thomas Dickerman, a 17th business associate of Isaac Goodale, who lost money when he loaned 10 pounds sterling to Isaac, who then bought (and attempted to sell) a cart load of bed warming pans to the local Indians. That debt (never repaid) plus interest over some 300 years, equals the value of this house and the property on which it stands. I’ll be moving in soon, unless one of you cries “witch!” and moves this scenario into an entirely new direction.